Join a team that is passionate about celebrating inventors and encouraging youth to invent.
Administrative & Financial Assistant II
This key position provides sponsored program administrative coordination and financial support within the LemelsonMIT Program (LMIT), a nationwide initiative that celebrates outstanding inventors and inspires young people to pursue creative lives and careers through invention. Administrative responsibilities include: coordinating logistics for large and small events, including LMIT’s signature, week-long event in June, EurekaFest; acting as the LMIT liaison across MIT administrative departments; and providing general administrative support for the Program, with front desk and phone support, making travel arrangements, ordering supplies, and managing office equipment. Financial responsibilities include: Processing accounts payable, requisitions, and journal vouchers, and verifying staff credit card purchases; generating financial reports on a regular basis; and researching finance discrepancies and making corrections.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
Administrative (55% effort)
- Coordinates logistics for events, including LMIT’s signature event, EurekaFest, which includes a week of complex, cross-program activities involving over 300 participants.
- Acts as LMIT liaison across MIT departments, including IST, EHS and MIT Facilities. Maintains hardware/software inventory records and coordinates upgrades as needed.
- Responds to inquiries, and assists in the resolution of problems, referring to colleagues as appropriate.
- Provides front desk support.
- Answers phones, processes ingoing and outgoing mail and faxes, photocopies documents, maintains files and equipment, and orders supplies.
- Helps prepare mailings and shipping.
- May provide some program support, including scheduling meetings and making room reservations and food orders.
- May assist with arranging complex domestic and international travel, including reservations, and the assembly of travel itineraries and folders.
- Other duties as required.
Financial (45% effort)
- Processes accounts payable including approving invoices/RFP's and travel expense reports, interacting with vendors to answer questions and resolve issues.
- Processes procurement requisitions, journal vouchers, and verifies credit card purchases.
- Processes P-card transactions for LemelsonMIT InvenTeam high school team grants, and provides back-up on processing staff transactions as needed.
- Maintains records, files and/or reports on a regular basis, generates reports on a weekly or monthly basis and performs account maintenance as needed.
- Processes invoices and monitors expenses for compliance with sponsor guidelines and in accordance with approved budgets.
- Researches discrepancies and uses discretion to solve problems.
- Researches and gathers financial information for projects assigned by the Finance and Administration Manager.
- Updates manuals and procedures for financial operations; Stays abreast of MIT’s record retention requirements and maintains records accordingly.
- Other duties as required.
This position will be supervised by the Manager of Finance and Administration. Detailed instructions and procedures will be provided; but this position is expected to work independently within the scope of the defined responsibilities.
May train and coordinate work of student employees and/or temporary staff.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Minimum of 3 years of related administrative and financial experience. MIT experience strongly preferred
- High School education required, Associates degree preferred
- Strong communication, organizational and timemanagement skills, including demonstrated ability to be flexible and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Requires full working knowledge of general office practices and procedures.
- Strong attention to detail; ability to prioritize and work well under the pressure of deadlines; and ability to use good judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information
- Strong computer skills, and proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel, required. Experience with databases desired (SAP preferred)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills, including the ability to interact with diverse sets of individuals ranging from corporate executives to high school students
- Ability to occasionally work nights and weekends to support LMIT events, especially our signature event, EurekaFest, in June
- Ability to lift/move boxes of up to 15 lbs in weight preferred
Interested candidates, please submit your resume through MIT Human Resources (click here).
** To comply with regulations by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), the principal duties in job descriptions must be essential to the job. To identify essential functions, focus on the purpose and the result of the duties rather than the manner in which they are performed. The following definition applies: a job function is essential if removal of that function would fundamentally change the job.