Join a team that is passionate about celebrating outstanding inventors and inspiring youth through invention.
Program Assistant I
This position provides administrative and program support for the Executive Director and Invention Education staff of the Lemelson-MIT Program (LMIT), a nationwide initiative that celebrates outstanding inventors and inspires young people to pursue creative lives and careers through invention.
Key responsibilities include:
Providing general administrative support for the Executive Director, including assisting with scheduling, coordinating meeting logistics and conference calls, tracking data relating to programmatic activity and key contacts, and assisting with the preparation of presentation materials and meeting handouts. S/he will also conduct routine research, gather and compile data, and assist with creating materials that support outreach to key constituents. At times, s/he may need to attend meetings and/or conference calls and provide notes on proceedings and follow-up. S/he will assist with the development of grants applications, including tracking opportunities and key deadlines, and gathering application data and documents from partners. The Program Assistant will also support LMIT involvement in Invention Education-related meetings and conferences, and will provide logistical support for InvenTeams and JV InvenTeams revolving around program annual grant cycles.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
Administrative Support (50%)
- Provide general administrative assistance to the Executive Director including scheduling, coordinating logistics relating to meetings and conference calls, routine research and data tracking, photocopying and printing.
- Track and enter data into Salesforce, including new contacts and information about key interactions with funders and program partners; and run reports as needed.
- Conduct routine research on funding opportunities and track opportunity information, including deadlines and required information; gather information and documents required for proposal submission, and assist with compiling proposals.
- Assist with meeting preparation, including gathering and synthesizing data, creating Power Point presentations and other documents.
- Attend meetings and/or on conference calls, and provide written summaries of the conversations and required follow-up (if any).
InvenTeam and JV InvenTeam Coordination (35%)
- Assist with setting up new InvenTeam grants, including mail merging and processing grant agreements, processing new MIT ID’s and email accounts for teams, and creating welcome materials.
- Support InvenTeam participation in LMIT’s annual signature event, EurekaFest, including tracking team travel information, medical forms, and assisting with team and othe revent logistics.
- Serve as a contact with JV InvenTeam activity kitting company, including ordering kits for teams, and monitoring purchase activity.
- Ensure InvenTeam and JV InvenTeam digital files are organized and up-to-date.
- Monitor InvenTeam and JV InvenTeam information email accounts, triaging requests and directing to appropriate staff to answer.
- Monitor InvenTeam/JV InvenTeam web content for accuracy on a regular basis.
- Monitor web links in JV InvenTeam’s activity guides to ensure accuracy.
- Monitor Invention Education collaboration site and post information as needed.
Invention Education Support (15%)
- Conduct on-line research and track information on conferences involving target audiences for Invention Education.
- Assist with submitting, and tracking applications for conference workshops and presentations. Support the creation of presentations and organize materials for meetings and conferences, ensuring adequate inventory of material and supplies are on hand, and shipping to meeting and conference venues as needed.
- S/he may also be asked to assist with staffing booths or tables at conferences and/or to assist with outreach activities conducted during evenings or weekends in the Greater Boston area.
- Assist with the organization of in-person and web-based events.
- Ongoing inventory management of supplies for hands-on Invention Education activities; create activity kits for site visits and other gatherings; and ensure timely shipping to venues.
- Other duties as needed.
This position will be supervised by the Executive Director, but work will also be overseen by the Invention Education Officer and Coordinators. Detailed instructions and procedures will be provided, but the person in this position is also expected to work independently within the scope of the defined responsibilities.
May coordinate work of student employees and/or temporary staff.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Minimum of two years of program, administrative, office or related experience; customer service experience a plus
- High School Education or equivalent required. Associates degree preferred.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with diverse sets of individuals
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, including demonstrated ability to be flexible and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Requires full working knowledge of general office practices and procedures
- Strong attention to detail; ability to prioritize and work well under the pressure of deadlines; and ability to use good judgment
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information
- Strong computer software skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (especially Excel and Outlook), Google Docs, Dropbox, and web searches; web maintenance and Salesforce CRM experience a plus
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to work nights and weekends during LMIT’s events.
** To comply with regulations by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), the principal duties in job descriptions must be essential to the job. To identify essential functions, focus on the purpose and the result of the duties rather than the manner in which they are performed. The following definition applies: a job function is essential if removal of that function would fundamentally change the job.