Computer Science, Coding & Solving Real World Problems AfterSchool
The California AfterSchool Network (CAN), California Department of Education, CSforALL, and the Lemelson-MIT Program (LMIT) invite you to a free webinar to discuss the Kids Code Grant Program and ways of advancing computer science and computational thinking in after school programs. Please note webinar time is scheduled for 10 a.m. PT and 1 p.m. ET.
Topics to include:
- Overview of CSforALL and resources available
- Ways after school programs can make unique contributions to youths’ development of CS and computational thinking skills
- Research that informs our understanding of the value of teaching CS through inquiry and project based approaches grounded in ‘real world’ challenges (i.e. invention education)
- Research that informs our understanding of ways differences in students’ prior experiences can be bridged through team-oriented approaches to teaching and learning
- Free resources available as a base for developing computer science offerings in after school settings for middle and high school students
- Ways after school program leaders are implementing Kids Code (including opportunities and challenges)
Webinar will be recorded. We won't be able to accept registrations after 12 p.m. ET. All registrants will receive a link to the recorded webinar to watch on their own time.
Program Director, Policy and Outreach, California AfterSchool Network
Education Programs Consultant, California Department of Education Expanded Learning Division
Executive Director, Lemelson-MIT Program
Invention Education Officer, Lemelson-MIT Program
Schedule is Pacific Time
10:00 – 10:05 a.m.
Welcome and Introductions: Heather Williams
- CAN overview
- 2019 Summits
10:05 – 10:10 a.m.
Kids Code Overview: Chris Breazeale
- Grant Details
- Funding Amounts
10:10 – 10:20 a.m.
Overview of the CSforALL: An-Me Chung
- CSforOST Initiative
10:20 – 10:35 a.m.
Coding to Invent Solutions to Problems: Stephanie Couch
Power & promise of technology in OST: Leigh Estabrooks
- Teaming up to get past the digital divide
- Free resources offered by LMIT
- Support available
10:35 – 10:55 a.m.
Discussion with Webinar Participants Group
- Questions and answers
- Efforts underway in local programs
- Challenges and unmet needs
- Opportunities to work together
10:55 – 11:00 a.m.
Wrap-Up and Adjourn: Heather Williams