San Jon High School InvenTeam
San Jon, NM
Pocket-sized Arsenic Filter to Purify Drinking Water
- According to an InvenTeam student presenter, "Arsenic causes an estimation of 25,000 deaths in Bangladesh."
- The InvenTeam calls its filtering process the KOOL-AID® effect, because the media pills turn the water red when it extracts the arsenic. The red water then passes through a small filter, which screws into the bottle opening, making the water clear.
- The filters can be used up to ten times, and the filter system costs only five cents.
- This portable device can be carried in a person's pocket and fits on any two-liter water bottle.
- A Baptist-youth group organizer successfully tested the filter system in Nepal.