• The DeCombuster was designed as a first response to fires; its novel feature is its reusability.
• The InvenTeam contacted the Hudson, Acton, and Boxborough fire departments for feedback on its invention.
• Cisco Systems provided the team with financial and mentor support.
• The InvenTeam plans to improve the timing mechanism on the device, so the gas will not disperse from it immediately after pulling the pin, in addition to modifying the shape and patenting it.
• “It’s nice to see a supportive outlet for kids who want to be engineers,” said Don Davis, Cisco mentor.