Saratoga Springs High School InvenTeam
• The Garden Consultant is an automated system to test soil conditions and determine the optimal plants for those conditions.
• To develop its invention, the InvenTeam consulted Cornell University Professor Charles Maza and his soil and environmental testing manual, <Site Assessment for Gardeners: A Step-by-Step Workbook for Better Home Gardens and Landscapes. http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/landscape/site_assessment_for_gardeners...
• The Garden Consultant provides sensors that measure soil infiltration, pH, temperature, salinity, sunlight intensity, and wind speed.
• Users can manually enter soil data or collect the data through a system of sensors, then the Garden Consult database <http://www.saratogainventeam.com/> analyzes the data and matches it with a list of plants provided through the <United States Department of Agriculture’s http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdahome> database.
• The InvenTeam plans to further develop its database to include plants that can be purchased at local nurseries.