Oregon Episcopal School InvenTeam
• The invention is designed for Niger, Africa, where the water table is extremely low.
• The pump can be built with indigenous materials and can be repaired by a bicycle mechanic—a common profession in Niger.
• The students consulted <Mercy Corp http://www.mercycorps.org/> to learn about the social and cultural considerations for the pump design.
• As the users pedals the device, a drum rotates and lowers one bucket into a trough to collect the water; as the user revises the pedaling motion the second bucket lowers and fills with water.
• The InvenTeam plans to polish the prototype and test it in Niger.