February 1, 2019

Project Description Update
The team has reached one of the biggest hurdles thus far: integrating sensors into our software. Although it has been a difficult month of brainstorming we have made big strides in 3D printing, programming and dummy set up. 

Trying to build the housing for the sensors without having the sensors is like trying to design clothing for someone without knowing the size or height of the person you’re designing for

Progress

CAD/ 3D Printing
Rodney is headed on to his third design for the CAD model. Since December he has made the straps flat to make it easier to 3D print. After 3D printing the mount where the arduino board will sit, he has decided to make some modifications to make it more comfortable and less bulky. The biggest problem he is encountering right now is that he cannot design the housing model for EMARA without the sensors. Nonetheless, he is hoping to have a working (printed) design by the mid grant technical review.

(The first image is the 3D printed arduino mount and a picture of our dummy. The bottom image is an updated picture of Rodney’s CAD design)

Programming
James has been busy this month preparing to get the programming ready for when we get the bluetooth Arduino. He made the GUI to have seperate files and graphs to prevent future errors and make it easier to troubleshoot. He is also working on a splash screen for the entire program (to run diagnostic tests to make sure everything is running perfectly). Additionally, he added a bluetooth finder to report MAC addresses. Currently, he is waiting for the arduino bluetooth to come in to test and simulate the program.

Dummy Setup
We have officially made James's thumb into a silicone mold. We used James’s thumb to test how fast the alginate will dry and to get practice for when we make a full silicone arm mold. The team is brainstorming how to integrate sensors into the arm mold to make a proper simulation. We are adding temperature tubes and reverse engineering a BPM cuff to hopefully induce a pulse on the dummy. We have also decided to use James arm because of where his scar is from breaking it (happy coincidence). We are hoping the impression the scar leaves will help guide us as we cut the silicone to put the temperature tubing. Lastly, we have our dummy and he has brought a lot of character not only to our team but also the school.

Other
Adam has been working on deconstructing the pulse oximeter and blood pressure cuff to see how the sensors work in each device and how it can be integrated into EMARA. After seeing how time consuming and difficult it will be to integrate the sensors into our software, the team is considering taking out the fingerprint scanner. As of now, the fingerprint scanner would be placed on the thumb and that would eliminate the adaptability of EMARA because it would then only be equipped to be placed on one hand (right or left). So for now, the team is going to wait till all other essential sensors have been integrated before we tackle the fingerprint scanner. 

Fundraisers
The team will be holding bake sales and a bingo night to raise money for the plane tickets for the Eureka fest.

Community Outreach
The team is excited to have Dr. Vanderhee and Dr. Gilcrease also be in attendance for the mid grant technical review.

Goals
By February the team hopes to have a working 3D model of EMARA and to have the bluetooth arduino to simulate the program. We also hope to have the silicone arm and have the basis for how we are going to induce a pulse in the dummy. Lastly, we hope to have figured out how to integrate some of the sensors into our software. We are looking forward to having the mid grant technical review as well!